Restoring Your Home after Storm Damage
Storm damage is never fun, but it can be especially frustrating if you have limited experience with home repair. In order to understand how to restore your home after storm damage, you need to know what kind of damage has been done and how much work it might take to fix that damage. If you're not sure where to start or what needs repairing first, here are some tips:
Assessing the Damage
Assessing damage to your home after a storm can be a daunting task, but it is important to do so as soon as possible to prevent further damage and begin the process of making repairs. Here are some steps you can take to assess your home for damage:
- Check for structural damage: Look for any cracks or damage to the foundation, walls, or roof of your home.
- Inspect the roof: Look for any missing or damaged shingles, as well as any damage to the flashing or gutters.
- Check for water damage: Look for any water stains on the walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Check for damage to your windows and doors: Look for any cracked or broken glass, as well as any damage to the frames or seals.
- Inspect your appliances: Check your appliances such as the refrigerator, washing machine and dryer, dishwasher, and HVAC system to ensure they have not been damaged by the storm.
- Take photos or video of the damages: This can help when you are submitting an insurance claim.
- Inspect your belongings: Take pictures of the damage.
It's important to remember that it is always best to consult with a professional if you notice significant damage or if you are unsure about how to make repairs.
Cleaning Up After a Flood
One of the first steps in restoring your home after storm damage is to remove all the standing water, wet furniture, appliances, and carpets. If your home has sustained damage from a flood, it's important to take action quickly to prevent further damage by removing wet items. You should also remove any wet insulation, drywall, and wood that was exposed during the flooding.
Repairing or Replacing
If the damage is severe, you may need to replace the whole thing. If your home has been damaged by flooding, it's important to consult a professional before making any decisions about how to proceed. However, if you live in an area prone to stormy weather, there are resources available that can help you repair and restore your home after a storm.
Check with insurance companies about what type of coverage might be available for home repairs associated with storms. Your insurance company may provide money for repairing damage caused by environmental hazards such as flooding and storms.
Call Storm Cleanup Experts For Assistance
If you experience storm damage to your Warwick home or business, give SERVPRO of East Greenwich/Warwick/Cranston a call today. We will be out quickly to fix the problem and restore your structure and belongings to their preloss conditions.